The Church, Hall and Pub and a bit of History

 The village nestles in the lee of May Hill. Within the village we have two registered 'commons' and many green paths dissecting the area which are unique, making the village, and its environment, a green and pleasant place to live in.

St Peters Church

The foundation stone to St. Peters church was laid on 11thApril 1882, St. Peters is also the mother church to Gorsleys Christ Church, the building of which was completed in 1893. In 1984, the Parish of Gorsley and Cliffords Mesne was made a United Benifice with Newent. Nowadays the church maintains a small but devoted congregation, who faithfully keep St. Peters maintained in good order. The current Parish Priest is Reverend S. Mason.

The Yew Tree Inn

Prior to the building of the original Yew Tree inn there had been a cider mill on the site, which lies on the foot of May Hill, since the 16thcentury. It was also used as a nail shop during the 19thcentury. The Yew Tree is now in need of your help. Visit our Save the Yew Tree Pub page.

 

 

The Village Hall

The Village Hall was built in 1863 for the dual purposes of school and church. In 1934 the Cliffords Mesne School closed. In 1958 the villagers formed the Trustees of the Village Hall of Cliffords Mesne and purchased the building for the sum of £175. The hall can accommodate around 65 people at table. The hall has undergone major renovations including the building of a new extension which  houses toilets, kitchen and a small additional meeting room.

The International Birds of Prey Centre

Just outside the village is The International Centre for Birds of Prey is the oldest dedicated birds of prey centre in the world. With a huge range of birds and daily flying demonstrations - it is definitely worth a full days visit

 

 

Some Village History

The village shares its name with the same Clifford who lost his head to King Edward ll in 1322. Down load this PDF for a short History of the Village  Click here to download this file